Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon


Title: The Shadow of the Wind
Author: Carlos Ruiz Zaffon
Genre: Mystery
Published: 2001
Rating: 5/5

I've heard of this book during our Davao Reader's Circle Meet up. Dom was the one who introduced this book to the group. I didn't get the chance to borrow the book but it was always "Bookmarked" on my mind as one of my must reads. Apart from Dom's high recommendation I also love the fact that the book is written by a Spanish writer,I don't know what's in their water but my favorite books are from Spanish Writers and it  is a mystery that's why I decided that I would buy my own copy. When a friend gave me a Fully Booked GC I finally got the chance to buy the book and devoured it in two days.

Synopsis:
Hidden in the heart of the old city of Barcelona is the ‘Cemetery of Forgotten Books’, a labyrinthine library of obscure and forgotten titles. To this library, a man brings his ten-year-old son, Daniel, one cold morning in 1945. Daniel is allowed to choose one book and from the dusty shelves pulls The Shadow of the Wind by Julián Carax. But as Daniel grows up, several people seem inordinately interested in his find. What begins as a vase of literary curiosity turns into a race find out the truth behind the life and death of  Julián Carax and to save those he left behind.

When I read the book I was simply mesmerized by the words. See or rather read for yourself:

"It was the early summer of 1945, and we walked through the streets of a Barcelona trapped beneath ashen skies as dawn poured over Rambla de Santa Monica in a wreath of liquid copper."

The words are so beautiful and it vividly describes the scenery that I have no difficulty transporting myself to 1945 Barcelona Spain. I fell in love with the style in which the author wrote the book. I feel like reading a Gabriel Marquez book but with more life and mystery. It will surely attract those who love Barcelona in that era and even those who are simply lovers of mystery. The author was able to depict a dark time in a once Golden city and he was able to breathe life into his characters. Daniel Sempere is a character that many can relate to with his own strengths and flaws.
 I love the story itself as it has so many layers. First we have the story of Daniel Sempere and then the book he found The Shadow of the Wind and also the story of the author of the book, Julian Carax. The subplots even have subplots. 

I cannot wait to read the prequel which is The Angel's Game.

No comments:

Post a Comment