Friday, April 26, 2013

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo By Stieg Larsson

Title: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Author: Stieg Larsson
Genre: Crime Fiction, Thriller, Mystery
Published: 2005
Rating: 5/5
Synopsis from the Book Jacket:

Mikael Blomkvist, a once-respected financial journalist, watches his professional life rapidly crumble around him. Prospects appear bleak until an unexpected (and unsettling) offer to resurrect his name is extended by an old-school titan of Swedish industry. The catch—and there's always a catch—is that Blomkvist must first spend a year researching a mysterious disappearance that has remained unsolved for nearly four decades. With few other options, he accepts and enlists the help of investigator Lisbeth Salander, a misunderstood genius with a cache of authority issues. Little is as it seems in Larsson's novel, but there is at least one constant: you really don't want to mess with the girl with the dragon tattoo.

It is quite rare for me to watch the movie version of the book before I get to read the book. I always want it to be the other way around so I can better enjoy the movie, really understand and act as know it all to the annoyance of my husband. I saw the movie last 2011 and instantly fell in love with it. I love it not because I am a fan of Daniel Craig but I love the story and characters.

I finally got to read the book when I mooched it from a member of Book Mooch in Israel. It came to my doorstep last March which made me so happy. After I unpacked the book I immediately started reading it and  even though I already know the story it was still very compelling. I like the pacing of the story because it transports us from one scene to another seamlessly. There are two layers of the story, the present and the case that Michael Blomkvist is working on which brings us to the past.I  love the flawed characters and their own story. I love the fact that the characters are too flawed and how these flaws and weaknesses becomes their strength. The main character Lisbeth Salander is perhaps one of my favorite heroine in fiction. She is weird, antisocial and show signs of Asperger's syndrome which makes her brilliant.  At 4'11 ft, 90 pounds and skinny built she kicks ass!
The other character is Michael Blomkvist. He is not exactly the opposite of Lisbeth but they are so different from each other but they work really well. The plot brings us lots of surprises. It is a crime fiction buried beneath a family drama.It really makes us guess whodunit and the revelations will really catch us off guard.

Brilliant novel from the Swedish Author Stieg Larsson whon unfortunately died before he enjoyed the phenomenal success of his books.This book is the first of the Millenium Series which includes: The Girl Who Played with Fire(Book 2) and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Book 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment